October 09, 2013

What do you mean I'm out of Maple Syrup?!?

Don't you just love breakfast-for-dinner night with those fluffy pancakes or crispy waffles that are just begging for that slathering of butter and dousing of maple syrup? The smell of bacon or sausage sizzling away, getting ready to make a new home in your belly?

There is nothing better than breakfast-for-dinner on a busy night when you really are craving something filling, tasty and BAD for you!

The plates are piled high, the kids are flabbergasted that Mom is making BREAKFAST! 

Hold up! What's missing? Where's the syrup?!?

Sometimes I could really kick myself. I mean full on insert-foot-in-backside kick myself!

I forgot it. Me. Mea culpa.

Heres a quick fix to get your food on the table with a minimum of complaint about "Hey, Mom! Where's the maple syrup?"




INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon Mapleine or other maple flavored extract.

METHOD
Bring water to a boil.
Add all of the sugar. Stir until boiling and mixture starts to turn clear.
Add the Mapleine and stir.
Remove from heat and let cool before storing in the refrigerator.

I re-purposed an Ovaltine jar for this and keep in the refrigerator. The jar I use actually holds the equivalent of two batches, so I usually just make a double batch, cool, then store. If you like your syrup warm over your pancakes and waffles, no need to cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...