April 03, 2012

A Boo Boo Mommy Can't Fix

When I was a kid, I had to endure school portraits with a closed smile because I was embarrassed by my teeth. When I was about 15 months old, I slipped and knocked one of my front teeth out. As the story goes, and if I remember it correctly, my mom put the busted tooth in a glass of milk and rushed me to the doctor where they were able to put it back in.

And then about a week or so later, I knocked it out again, leaving me snaggle-toothed until about third grade when my permanent tooth finally grew back in.

Insert Snagglepuss jokes here; I've heard them all...

"Heavens to Murgatroyd!"


There is actually a funny coincidence here though. I have a school picture of my dad, also from third grade, where he's missing the same tooth.

Now I am the first to say that I am definitely not graceful, AT ALL. Many times as a kid I found myself tripping over my own feet, running head-first into walls, and just generally being an all around klutz. I frequently sported bloody knees, scraped elbows, and goose-eggs in the middle of my forehead. It's a miracle I've never had a broken bone in my life or the need for stitches to put me back together again.

Well it's finally happened. The legacy continues. A boo boo this mommy can't fix and has to be taken care of by a professional.

Since Caleb was born, Hubs and I have always said that he was our most spirited child; the one to jump off roofs and into swimming pools, the one to crash into a tree on his bicycle, the one we're thankful we have health insurance for.

Some time in the three hour window between his nap and dinner, Caleb busted his front tooth. He didn't knock it out, but it's enough to make sure his future smiles are full of character! Unfortunately, I know it's the first of many injuries our family will endure in his growing up years. Maybe he'll have an interesting third grade picture too; time will tell!

Off to the dentist we go!

1 comment:

  1. OOOOOHHHHH NNNNNOOOOO!!!!!! (but also....bwhahahaha)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...